FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

2 Styles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt_French

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: 2 Styles Reply with quote

Hey! I havn’t posted anything in a while…so I thought I’d bring something up that I think needs to be said.

Ok…I’ve been noticing a pattern in wakeskating styles. Keep an open mind when I explain this…and don’t immediately assume that it is stupid.

There are 2 basic types of wakeskaters (IMO);

1) The type of wakeskater who learns how to shuvit before he/she can ollie…the kind of wakeskater who lands their first shuv - and immediately starts working on a new, and harder trick. For argument sake…this type of wakeskater prefers ‘progression over consistency’ (don’t read too deep into that. I don’t mean progression of the sport…I mean the progression of the rider’s skill level.)

2) The type of wakeskater who learns to carve the wake until it becomes effortless…then learns ollie with pop and consistency before moving on to a shuvit. This type of rider prefers ‘consistency over progression.’

My point is thus…riders who rush their learning curve…have a harder time acquiring style. Type 2 wakeskaters end up looking more comfortable on the water….hence increasing stylishness. There is nothing wrong with being Type 1. I would consider myself that kind of rider….it’s just the way I am. But on the same note…I would not consider myself a stylish rider per se. That is something that I am really trying to work on.

I’m not trying to say that riders shouldn’t push themselves…I’m just saying that, for some reason, people tend to put the cart before the horse, and try to teach themselves to walk before they can crawl. I feel that this just slows down the learning curve…and in the long run…it can really affect a rider’s style. If you are into wakeskating for the sake of impressing someone…you are in it for the wrong reason. And if you aren’t trying to impress anyone…why rush?

Again…I’m not saying you shouldn’t push yourself…but there is a difference between pushing yourself off a curb…and pushing yourself off a cliff. If you know what I mean.

The same thing goes for almost any sport…snowboarding, skateboarding, wakeboarding…you name it.

...I love watching kids on snowboards, who barely know how to carve, throw themselves off tabletops at high rates of speed with no control. In a very sick way….it is comical.
wakemitch
Frontside Bigspin

City: Yay Area

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no wrong way, but if you are having fun you are doing it the right way. thats all that matters
nick
Island Rat

City: Honokowai

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt_French, I love getting into deep thoughts with stuff like this. After reading this, I realize that I am/was Type 2.

Thanks for posting something meaningful...

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Taylor,

that just goes to prove my point...you have got killer stylz...i would have guessed you are a type 2.
nick
Island Rat

City: Honokowai

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: whistler/pemberton

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 2 all the way,style before tech.It's funny what you say about the young snowboarders,I've seen alot of that Laughing
urinal mint
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

type 2 nuckas.

i told myself this is what i'm learning this summer:

carving in and out
switch
ollie

i can carve well, not the best but good
i can start switch or go switch anytime and usually ride it out but i still need lots of water time
i hit a 11 inche ollie yesterday more than once.

i'm learning those 3 down to the tee and then i'll go from there because those 3 things are the basics or just about every trick imo.
liquid
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: New Orleans

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i spent all last summer doing what urinal mint, did....egtting used to the feel got a good ollie down....now this summer i have been landing shuvs effortlessly....and i am starting to land 3 shuvs and bigspins...word type 2 fools!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BillyOLDS
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: orlando/winterpark

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im type 2 holla

but yeah matt i know exactly wat ur saying and if i get a jackass like that out with me i tell him to slow down, gotwake on her was like that and lately his olloies have gotten so much bigger and he's popping shuv and landed his first 3shuv yesterday. but yeah he is now a type 2 lol
IndySkate
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 2 here . . . in wakeskating and other things. I first got on a wakeskate last summer (late) so this year is really first season. I am just focusing on carving, switch and ollie.

Back in the day when I skateboarded (to give you an idea of how long ago, my 2nd board was Tony Hawk's FIRST model) I was very into riding with a flow or style. I really focused on ollies and ollie based tricks (which I got good at). Most of my friends could do sick stuff off a launch ramp or a quarter pipe . . . stuff that I could not do. However, I could ollie over anything they put in front of me and was much better at holding speed and a line on streets and sidewalks (could get over or by most stuff without a problem)

and I am WAY TOO OLD to be posting here
Wink
PIRATE

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I THINK i was a type 1 and now im turning into a type 2 cause i really have just been trying to get to where skating feels super comfortable, and now i consider myself to be pretty consistant.

i think people that are just a #2 from the get go are boring to watch and i also think that it affects them mentally, i learned some pretty tech tricks my first couple months skating even though they weren't consistant and i only landed them maybe 1-2 a day, it still got it in my head that i could do the tricks that the "pros" were doing and when it comes to skating confidence is 90% of it IMO
Friedhouse
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Las Vegas

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say i have been starting out as type 1.....i need to slow it down and think about what im doing. I already feel comfortable on the wakeskate though...so i just kinda started huckin stuff.
kento911
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im deff a type 2, on all things hence why I progress so slow at wakeboardinmg and skating, b/c I cant do it everyday, like I used to with skateboarding, I think you can progress faster than a type one if your riding EVERY day like our friend lil Nicky, but I think some peoples stlyes are defined by sloppiness, for example in Skateboarding I have always felt Kareem Camble was stylish, but sloppy, like sort of idk its hard to explain like for example Hampson and GD seem to have a type 2 style in my mind, but like Justin Scott has a type one style, like he is a little sloppy in everything (no offence man you rip) but it adds to his style instead of detracts from it see what I mean
seven11dmd
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Northern VA

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started off as someone who learned to shuv it before learning to really ollie, now im going back and working on consistency before i move on
kento911
Kickflip
Kickflip

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jboss you and I are taking our personal shizzle to PM this is an awesome topic and Im not letting you or me fvck it up, if you can post something here that doesnt berate other users go ahead other wise its getting cut

Last edited by kento911 on Jun 15, 2005 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
frawley
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: pickering

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jboss, so your saying the people that take the time to get sh/t down and work on style and take there time progressing are in it for the wrong reasons, IMO type 2 is more the kind of person thats in it for the right reasons.
jboss
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Chalmette

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Styles Reply with quote

Matt_French wrote:
If you are into wakeskating for the sake of impressing someone…you are in it for the wrong reason. And if you aren’t trying to impress anyone…why rush?

thats what i mean, style two people (from my experiences) learn style and switch and stuf just so people will praise them. whats the point of skatin switch anyway, its boring as hell.

kento911
Kickflip
Kickflip

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well its a lot clearer now that your not calling people douchebags, much better, that is an opinion
jboss
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Chalmette

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wasnt callin anyone hear a docuhebag, i was refering to the stupid faggy kids around my skateshop with those douchey symptoms.
kento911
Kickflip
Kickflip

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it didnt come off that way engage brain then type
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: