FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Pros and Cons of different types of boards?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geronamo
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Pros and Cons of different types of boards? Reply with quote

I am getting into wakeskating and am looking at upgrading to a better board. I currently have some cheap flat thing which is pretty average. I wanna get into tricks so I need to know the best board for me. So I have a few questions...

Wood or Foam Core (fibreglass) pros and cons?

Bi level or single level? pros and cons?

Also, Im 6 foot 2 and 230 lbs. We have a boat with a 60 horse on the back, so it really struggles to get me out... does that mean I need a board thats a bit more boyant?

Any help would be great... Im really new to this
TTUFAN24
Something Clever

City: HOUSTON

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geronamo, welcome to the site and the "sport" for lack of a better word. wood concaves are pretty affordable and def my preference. there are some really solid rider owned companies that make a ton of bad a$$ skates. where are you located? people on this site are always more than happy to give somone a pull or let them try a few boards. best thing to do is ride before you buy.
daniel
Back Big

City: Duncan

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and Cons of different types of boards? Reply with quote

there are alot of good topics about this on the site, try browsing the forums or using the search button.

And about this..
geronamo wrote:
Also, Im 6 foot 2 and 230 lbs. We have a boat with a 60 horse on the back, so it really struggles to get me out... does that mean I need a board thats a bit more boyant?

lose weight. Very Happy
BLAIRWITCH
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Newcastle

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can be your bestfriend.

Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Nor Cal

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where do you live?
TTUFAN24
Something Clever

City: HOUSTON

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geronamo, dont listen to daniel he's just a bitter ag
cheapskate
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Baytown

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTUFAN24 wrote:
geronamo, welcome to the site and the "sport" for lack of a better word. wood concaves are pretty affordable and def my preference. there are some really solid rider owned companies that make a ton of bad a$$ skates. where are you located? people on this site are always more than happy to give somone a pull or let them try a few boards. best thing to do is ride before you buy.

for real. find some fellow skaters and ride theirs. that is how I decided that I like a wood concave AND a composite. Welcome to the site Birthday

geronamo
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys....

As for the search comment, I did, I searched heaps... bUt nothing really answered my question so i thought I would just ask direct.

Im based in New Zealand, and I have two other mates who are real keen. We have a boat so no worries bout the tow... As for the try before you buy... Not sure if there are any companies in NZ that do that, but if anyone knows of anyone Im all ears!!

As for my weight ha ha.... I play rugby, so being big is really important. Im about 10 per cent body fat, so Im not fat by any means just big.

So far the answer to my question is wood concave is the best??

Are the bilevel ones worth the extra money?
daniel
Back Big

City: Duncan

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geronamo, don't take alot of things people say on here too serious.

TTUFAN24, and I can't stand the aggs or cs. hate it here. if i had to pick a texas team to support it is the raiders.
geronamo
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah man its all good... I can take a joke....

Are there any comparison/reviews on the types of questions Im asking I really want to know wat to buy, but more importantly why I should buy it
nick
Island Rat

City: Honokowai

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geronamo,

Wood vs. Composite: The construction of the skate has little to do with the shape itself. In the early years, the good boards (Cassette) were made of wood and the crappy boards (Hyperlite) were composite, so wood became the preferred board type. Wakeskate shapes have gotten much better over the last few years (for the most part) and you can find good boards in either type. Some people still swear by the wood feel and others like the durability of a composite. Wood boards will eventually break down and lose their liveliness.

Bi-level vs. Traditional concave: The art of riding a wakeskate has been moving forward at a constantly impressive rate for a good number of years now and a lot of that has to do with constant improving of the boards we ride. As board companies open different possibilities in design, they are also catering to the wide range of preferences in what a rider needs from his/her wakeskate. Bi-levels were originally designed to cater to the needs of wakeskaters coming from a skateboard background. Theoretically, the physics of it used flex and leverage to give the board a skateboard feel. After talking to a few of the riders who rode bi-levels for a couple years, their opinion gave more importance to the extra weight and the angle of the nose/tail for pop. Personally I find them bulky and too unresponsive, but many people take comfort in their stability. Bi-levels are also more likely to break, since there is a gap in between decks into which water can be blasted...

I prefer simplicity, durability, and the ability to make a wakeskate do whatever I want, but I've spent years finding what I like and don't like by trying every board I can... You should do the same! Razz

good luck

`nick

Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geronamo, what nick said.

jazz hands
geronamo
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick.... you are a wakeskate god... thats the answer I was looking for

Peace
cheapskate
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Baytown

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The art of riding a wakeskate has been moving forward at a constantly impressive rate for a good number of years now...(I don't know how to quote) sorry Nick

Smash I love hearing that.

nick, You would be at the front of the line. therefore, I hold YOU responsible. Wink

nick
Island Rat

City: Honokowai

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, but please stop making this thread about me.
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: ATX

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bi levels issues of cracking is a bummer. Mine just did this weekend. Some companys offer some kind of support system to keep the top deck from flexing to the point of breaking. As far as I know both the devotid and verge wakeskates offer this. Haven't heard if it helps any or not. Mine got shacked on a wake to wake jump. Sent it nose first into the water. I think thats when they are more prone to break.

I like the extra weight makes the board ride deep in the water great for a extra stable ride!!!

jcoffey
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick, well put.

http://jordancoffey.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: