FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

*Pics of Homemade boards!*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rc005
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rides good, Had some problems with the plys separating, as I decided to use fiberglass resin instead of epoxy. But other than that it rides good. I plan on making more when I get some time away from school and work.. Its a ton of work, but a lot of fun making something you can use like this..
counterpart
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: 661

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hells yeah! I cant wait to at least try and make one. Trying to decide if i want to just make a flat deck first or just go for the concave and see how it turns out?? I cant wait to be able to say that i made the board and i have always wanted a wood concave! Should be fun. Also looking into finding some better wood like maple or oak or something. Neighbor is a carpenter/cabinet maker and might be able to hook me up for cheap or at least a place that will sell it! And trying to find a place to get Marine Grade Epoxy!!
rc005
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure where you live, but marine grade epoxy can be purchases at west marine, and you can get sheets of 5.2mm X 4ft X 2ft oak or birch at lowes for about $7- $8 a sheet.. i would recommend making a concave.. its much more difficult, but with the good how- to's on this site as well as your neighbor being a carpenter, i think you will be more satisfied with your final product.
counterpart
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jun 12, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i live in Los Angeles pretty much sooo there not that common... might have to take a trip to the beach to get some because thats the only place i have been able to find a West Marine. And i was really hoping to get something a little more quality than just sheets of birch or oak, I really want some veneers of good stuff. But i guess for the first one or if i end up making more there isnt much of a point. I really want to start making them and selling them and hopefully helping the scene out here grow a little. Wakeskating is not common at all out here! But i guess a lot of this might just become a dream and ill end up making one half assed board and quiting Razz
rc005
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 12, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha good luck making just one. Sure you'll be satified for a week after making one, then you get the itch, and start thinking of ways to improve on what you have learned from the previous board. I would say for the first one use the cheaper stuff, because you'll figure out a better way of doing things for the second time around.
counterpart
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jun 12, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True true! Hopefully i have enough wood laying around to get most of the jig made and then try to fine a little bit more flexible wood for the jig. Walked passed wood at lowes today on accident and didn't even thing of pricing it out... oh well

Just need to find some damn epoxy!!!
Ro$$
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Lake Tapps

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cracked the scorp yesterday. Its all because of the 1/8" birch plys i used. on two boards now it has cracked along where the birch plywood was glued together from the manufacturer. i strongly suggest not using this material. it doesn't matter how good of epoxy you use, for every layer of wood that is epoxied together there are 2 layers that are glued. for the record both boards were broken on the same trick, big I/O ollie behind a boat.
counterpart
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thats shiznackle... are you going to be able to repair it or not? Either way it was a clean ass board!

What material do you suggest then? I might still make the first one out of the birch just to get the building technique down a little. And if i break it it gives me inspiration to make a better one! Smile Are you planning on building more??
mojo
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: mob town

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do ya'll lay your plys? do you alternate directions with each one or just have them going in one direction? also, isn't usually a good idea to use different materials between plys? i've been trying to find hemp sheets, but can't seem to locate any. when i get the chance i want to make a concave out of birch and/or oak and possibly some hemp, then use fiberglass mat to cover it all. i've been looking for pbt and pmu and it's soo expensive.
Ro$$
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Lake Tapps

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont see any point in repairing it, as it will just fail somewhere else. i think birch by itself is ok to use but the 1/8" birch plywood isn't a good idea because its 2 thin layers of birch glued to a sheet of who knows what kind of wood.
Im sure I'll make some more, my friend who also makes boards wants to go in on a bundle of hardwood veneers, it costs a lot more $$ but well worth it.

definitely switch up the direction of the grain when layering the plys. i like the idea of a hemp layer , not sure how much strength it would ad if any, let us know how that works out if you try it.
mojo
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: mob town

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the hemp idea from some fuel tv show. these dudes made a skateboard deck out of a homemade press with bamboo and hemp. it some some "green" show
wakeskatingrulezd00d
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: folsom, LA

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hows this one i made a while back?

counterpart
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That things sick!! Designed off of an Integ i take it? Looks great. How does it ride?
wakeskatingrulezd00d
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, off of a tnt.
and i hate to say it, but i havent ridden it yet. i still have to seal it, then ima ride it. probly sometime this week.
ill let you know tho!
counterpart
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! What wood and glue did you use? What are you using to seal it with? Looks really close to a TNT for sure
wakeskatingrulezd00d
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i honestly dont remember exactly what i used for the wood.(thats how long ago i made it) but it was 1/8 sheets of something. and i used 2 stage marine grade epoxy from west marine.

as for sealing it, im just gonna throw on a few more coats of epoxy, and prime/ paint it with a marine grade product.
do you have a better idea?
counterpart
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. Seems like it would work. Maybe a spray on sealant? Ive heard of that being done but i dont know.

Last edited by counterpart on Jun 13, 2010 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
wakeskatingrulezd00d
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you order online from west marine? check into that.
but i live in folsom, louisiana. and i have one 20 minutes away.
counterpart
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh i was thinking Folsom, CA... haha my bad. Ill see if they will ship or not.
wakeskatingrulezd00d
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha yea, people on here get that confused a lot!
yea, def check on that. you could probly find something even better on there too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: