FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Vestless
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Re-entry
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Vestless Reply with quote

Ok I have a ngga vest which I like, but after watching sfumato I tried riding with no vest and boy do I like it. Does anyone on the site ride without a vest? I think if I upgrade to a really thin vest then maybe ill enjoy riding with a vest more. Any suggestions?
myers
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: VENICE

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me and geo got a ticket for 'No Personal Floatation Device' like 2 weeks ago.... $68

but yea i like it better untill you catch an edge and do a mad belly flop going 20mph
kento911
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-entry, dangerous and stupid buy a compvest 2 tickets will pay for it, if you dont belive me that its stupid and pointless call the family of Corey Kraut and ask theri opinon on the matter
Frye

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know its stupid to argue against this, cause i think its stupid to not wear a vest to, but i would have to say 90% of the time i dont, if i know i am in no danger of getting a ticket then like 98% of the time. wakeskating doesnt have the need for a vest anywhere near as much as boarding, corey kraut was wakeboarding. if you are dong lip tricks, and in out stuff and in the flats, i dont think there is much need for one if you can swim. i most of the time where one for w2w tricks though, just to be safe. i havent had any near death experiences riding w/o a vest but i grew up in the water so i know how to fall and what to do i guess. but it seems like riding w/o a vest takes skating one step further of freedom, like its just you and the board. if you dont mind wearing a vest, then wear one, it seems like now i cant even ride well with a vest on, but if you were to ask me, i would say wear a vest.
jboss
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Chalmette

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always wear a vest, havent ridden without one yet. here are a few reasons why:

1) lots of watah pigs (wildlife & fisheries) that just LOOOOOOVE givin out tickets.
2) theyre shock absorbers, especially those falls were the water punches you in the stomach.
3) when i fall after a long run, i really dont feel like keeping myself afloat by swimming, especially if i just got slapped in the nuts by the water or the board flew 20 feet away from me, so the vest allows me to just chill until the boat comes around.
4) now i havent hit a rail yet but i wouldnt wanna hit my chest or rib on a rail without a vest on.

just a few insintives (sp?) to wearing a vest and those are just off the top of my head.

integrity640
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Ocala

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jboss, you got most of what i was sayin. Also ive taken some pretty bad belly flops and backslaps on the water when i fall:after ive fallen my ass hurts like hell ,but my back is fine cuz of my vest.

kento911, Thats the biggest reason why. Look at what happened to him. He was in a wakeboard which should hold your feet in if anything, but that didnt happen for poor corey. If ur skatin and not wearin a vest, whos not to say u dont fall and hit a submerged object and knock urself out. Some of you may laugh but where i go theres stumps and shat all over the lake. Alot of companies have very thin vests. Check out jetpilots and hyperlite. Ive got a hype catalyst vest which is very thin and I <3 it. But id hate to here someone died boardin or skatin cuz they werent wearin a vest; thatd be really stupid Sad Evil or Very Mad

AnchorsAwayWake <======check it
parky
Kickflip
Kickflip

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riding no vest = not cool

ive done it before... nothing special, you shouldn't do it there are to man risks

-things under the water
-your board
-sinking
-getting hit by a wally or something else

its just plain not cool... you can find a great vest that will fit great and not restrict movement
integrity640
Kickflip
Kickflip

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and dont listen to Frye, , his dreadlocks are like mini flotation devices, so hell float no matter what Laughing Birthday

jdp204
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: springhill

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tihnk its easier t oget up with a vest on imo
numb
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: silver lake

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love riding without a vest... i really dont care if i have one on or not just not having one makes me feel more free. and i know there is danger but not so much that i woudl take conerne. me and people i know who barefoot dont were vests, either nothign or just a wetsuit and you can get knocked out going 30 miles an hour on water.... just have a good driver, know your water, make sure you can swim.... if you dont have those 3, wear a vest
nick
Island Rat

City: Honokowai

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Frye said + I ride in 24 inch deep crystal clear water = My opinion
Kickflip
Kickflip

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Taylor, 24 inchs vs. 24 feet is a big diffrence but 24 inch id go vestless

BLP010
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Rochester

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only time i go vestless is when i am riding behind my PWC in knee to mid thigh deep water. otherwise i rock my hyperlite punk vest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jdp204
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: springhill

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol 24 inches deep? d oyu just stand up on your board in it it to get up?
Taylor
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Slidell

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always ride with a vest. hands down. its worthless not to. as far as not wearing it when im doing lip tricks.....i dont know about ya'll but i've definitely taken my share of hard falls on those. i've come up not knowing where the boat is and also been hit by the board on the head a couple of times. and the whole "i know how to swim" excuse really doesn't cut it either because you could be an Olymipic fricken champion and still take a hard enough fall to knock you out. then the only place you are going is down underwater.
Seriously though, its not like riding vestless makes you instantly land a switch double k-flip, so why bother. the last thing i'd ever want to happen is to log in to wakeskating.com and read the top post that says SKATER DROWNS DUE TO RIDING VESTLESS or something.
Come on ya'll...........is it really worth your life? Confused

July 8, 1951-January 16, 2006

...Gone, but not forgotten...

Bayou Pirates Wake Team

Check out my band: www.myspace.com/OneStepAboveMusic
Mr. Top Hat
Dead

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deep water gets really tiring without a vest. now i wear one just about all of the time out of pure laziness to tread water.
kento911
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Top Hat, same here I used to not wear one when I commando skate, but theres ten people standing around that lake (which is about 3feet deep incidentally and very clear) that can get to me in less than 30 seconds everytime we do it, sooo thats why I did it then, but now Im just too lazy to go vestless lol
wakeskatingizfun
Ollie
Ollie

City: hong kong

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always where a vest skating or strapping. call me a small, dumb child but i think its definitely safer with one. plus i never ride in shallow water. but i mean if the board comes and hits you in the head hard then your done for without a vest. and sorry for asking, but whos corey kraut?
SleuCrew
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Oak Grove

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeskatingizfun, Cory Kraut aka Cordell was a good friend of mine as well as one of the best wakeboarders of his time... you can credit him and Marshall Herington for inventing off axis spins.

I have ridden without a vest, and still do from time to time... However its only when i am filming anymore these days and in shallow water i am familiar with. There was a chase boat with Corey when he died and it did not matter, he was swept underwater so fast by the strong current and that was it.

Be smart and wear a vest when you ride... i will be the first to admit i love to ride without a vest and i love the freedom. But every time i get in the water i think about how much i loved Cory and my friends and family.

here is a link about Cory...

http://www.wakeworld.com/News/2000/CoryKraut.asp

wakeskatingizfun
Ollie
Ollie

City: hong kong

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SleuCrew, im so sorry man. it sucks so bad to lose a friend, or anyone in fact. i've never ridden without a vest but i've decided now that i never will.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Add To Favorites

Jump to: